15 Ways to Use Less Plastic

15 Ways to Use Less Plastic

Plastics are made of completely synthetic materials that do not naturally occur, they are known to be harmful to our health and the environment. Although recycling helps, only certain types are accepted. A huge amount of plastic gets thrown out and ends up in landfills or our water ways (harming poor animals). The best thing to do it stop using plastic completely, however, we are so surrounded by it that this can seem daunting. Here are 15 simple ways to use less plastic in your life!

1. Switch to a reusable glass or metal water bottle.

Choose a reusable bottle that is glass or stainless steel (or even a mason jar works), it’s better for the environment and your health.

2. Carry a cloth bag with you wherever you go.

Even if you’re not going shopping or intending to buy anything, you never know when you might need a bag. Keep one in the bottom of your purse or backpack just incase!

3. Bring a coffee thermos to Starbucks instead of buying a paper one.

Most coffee places will be more than happy to make your drink in your reusable cup instead of a paper one. Bonus: It will keep your drink hotter for much longer!!

4. Store your left over food in glass containers rather than plastic bags.

Plastic baggies are a one time use item, if you have left over food store it in a reusable container instead. It is even better if you have glass or stainless steel containers, no harmful chemicals getting into your food.

5. Stop purchasing products with microbeads in them.

Microbeads are tiny plastic balls that are unnecessary and harmful to our environment! Watch out for them in exfoliants, toothpaste, scrubs, shower gels, and other skin care/beauty products.

6. Cook food at home rather than ordering takeout!

When you order food it comes with so much unnecessary packaging. Cooking at home will not only save you from the extra plastic but it also saves you money!

7. Buy produce from farmers markets when possible.

During the summer and fall months take advantage of your local farmers markets. You can get yummy in season produce, save money, and it comes package free!

8. Say no to plastic straws! Don’t use one at all or invest in a reusable metal straw.

More than 60 million plastic straws are thrown out every day!!! They are so unnecessary as well! If you absolutely need to use one invest in a reusable metal or glass straw.

9. Make your own beauty products at home and store them in glass containers.

Most store-bought beauty products come in an abundance of plastic. Making your own can be a lot of fun! If that’s not your thing look for someone local who sells products in reusable containers.

10. Compost your food scraps, less plastic garbage bags!

Composting can save so much from going into the trash. You can turn your food scraps into soil for your garden! If you don’t garden give it to a friend who does or sprinkle it around your neighbourhood.

11. Stop buying paper towels packaged in plastic, use cloths and rags.

Paper towels are so unnecessary! Use cloths or rags to clean and wipe up spills. If you have any old t-shirts you can turn them into cleaning rags (up-cycle)!!

12. Invest in a reusable set of cutlery to use instead of plastic when out.

You can find bamboo cutlery to take with you when you go out to eat. Keep it in your bag, you never know when you’ll get hungry. You’ll never need to use disposable cutlery again.

13. Bring your own container to restaurants for any left over food!

Bring a container from home when you go out to eat in case you have any left over food! That way you won’t need to use the plastic containers the restaurant provides!

14. Shop at bulk food stores and bring your own glass containers.

Fill your glass containers up directly from the store at bulk food stores! There is no need for plastic bags or wrappers! You can find so many foods at bulk food stores from baking supplies to dried beans!

15. Clean your house with vinegar and water.

Make your own natural cleaning products that don’t come in plastic packaging. Bonus: You aren’t putting any harsh chemicals into your environment!

Let me know any other ways you are reducing your plastic use!

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not. ~ Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

Share:

16 Comments

1. November 22, 2017 / 5:31 PM

Everytime I go to my favourite cupcake shop I end up bringing half home in a plastic takeaway pod. Youve given me the idea to keep my own container just in case. Thanks.

• November 22, 2017 / 9:16 PM

I’m glad you’re going to give that a try! Thanks for the comment 🙂

2. November 23, 2017 / 12:44 AM

Realistic, and helpful. I am always looking for new ideas.

• November 23, 2017 / 3:53 AM

I’m glad you found it helpful! Thanks for your comment!

3. November 23, 2017 / 12:26 PM

I used to be very good at remembering my reusable bags. I used to make my own nice, sturdy bags but now everyone gives out low quality reusable bags that aren’t nice at all and they’re bulky. I think you’ve inspired me to make a few nice ones that will fold nicely in my purse so I’ll always have them with me. Thanks!

• November 23, 2017 / 3:34 PM

Thanks for the comment! It’s awesome that you make your own bags, I’ve never thought of trying that!

4. November 30, 2017 / 11:19 AM

Hi, these are good suggestions, some quite tough to implement.
    Have you seen it with the eyes of total lifecycle? Some years ago in the context of electrical cars vs fossil fuel powered I recall that the overall effect in the environment was counterintuitive.
    On the straws and takeout food things look quite impossible.

• November 30, 2017 / 12:02 PM

I personally don’t find the straws and takeout containers to be that difficult, but that’s just my personal opinion. It’s just a matter of having your own items with you. Simply decline the plastic, they might think you’re weird but most people respect that. I want to point out that this is not about being perfect, it’s about making a conscious effort to reduce the plastic in your life. If these things don’t work for you that’s fine, just be mindful of the waste you’re putting into the environment and think about how you can reduce it.

• November 30, 2017 / 12:09 PM

I meant that the straws and containers used in the take out are just really a good example of the waste that is being produced based on our choice. I’ve worked many years in landfills and waste management, the world that we do not see intentionally. The images of that can be changed just by looking into what we choose to consume and how. Your list is really relevant to achieve it.

5. Storm Blackbeard
    January 15, 2018 / 5:50 PM

Some good ideas! Yes, it’s hard to imagine that there will ever be significant change when you look at the plastic straws and take-away packaging, but sometimes people are inspired when they see you making an effort 🙂 It’s just that these ideas are new and it takes time for people to adjust. I know it’s taking me a while, especially with the demands of life in the 21st century. Hopefully it won’t be a case of too little too late, if we all do what we can to start creating a new culture that has less destructive impact on the environment, and our health.

6. January 31, 2018 / 9:27 AM

Great ideas! I also just got some produce bags to replace plastic bags in the produce section of the supermarket.

• January 31, 2018 / 3:22 PM

That’s fantastic!!

• February 2, 2018 / 8:44 PM

I’m glad you liked it Hannah! Thanks for reading!

7. February 4, 2018 / 5:33 AM

Awesome and comprehensive list! DIY cosmetics and cleaning products FTW ^-^

• February 4, 2018 / 4:43 PM

Hell ya! I’m glad you liked the post, thanks for reading!